Sunday, August 7, 2011

Embarking On A Journey

Today at 3:00 p.m., 300 educators boarded four buses and headed out of town to Lincolnshire, Illinois. We will spend three days at Adlai Stevenson High school, the 'birthplace' of Professional Learning Communities, learning from some of the best in the world of education. Our administration team has attended a few more conferences than the teachers, but for the most part this is the second leg of our PLC journey as a district.

Very rarely do I travel without being behind the wheel so I'm taking this opportunity to catch up on my Google reader articles, finalize the related arts schedule, add finishing touches to the opening day teacher meeting agenda, and now blogging (all from my iPad). It's been a long time since I've written on the blog and it feels nice to be back at it.

There is a sense of excitement on the bus as we pull out of the parking lot. Following my Twitter feed it's clear the feeling is going through all the buses. These teachers are taking time out of their summer break the week before school starts.

We saw gains in student achievement after just one year of implementing the PLC framework and I'm very proud of our students' and teachers' hard work. Of course there are areas of improvement, mostly by me giving bad advice or giving answers to questions I really didn't understand myself. This year at the PLC institute we will know what to look for, what questions to ask, and what breakout sessions will be most beneficial to us.

Looking forward to a great learning experience, a Cubs game, and Embarking on our Journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment